TBCHS is offering an apprenticeship program for potential candidates to become a dental assistant.
Dental assistants greatly increase the efficiency of the dentist in the delivery of quality oral health care and are valuable members of the dental care team. Assist dentist during examination and treatment of patients as well as performing routine sterilization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Displays courtesy and sensitivity while managing difficult and emotional customer situations. Solicits feedback to improve service and responds promptly to customer’s needs.
- Schedules time off in advance to ensure proper coverage for department. Also begins working on time and works independently throughout the day until it is time to end shift.
- Accepts responsibility for own actions and is able to meet commitments. Asks for help when
- Able to follow policies and procedures while supporting the goals and values of the organization. Also promotes a positive work environment for staff of all departments offering support while working cooperatively with all co-workers.
- Expresses ideas and thoughts effectively. Displays confident communication skills and exhibits good listening. Keeps other adequately informed while selecting appropriate forms of communication.
- Shows a strong initiative and willingness to learn, continually strives to increase personal productivity. Always treats others with respect and consideration as committing to do the best job possible.
- Prepares patient, review health information and records treatment information in the patient record accurately and efficiently.
- Instructs patients in oral hygiene and provides post-operative instruction handouts as directed by the dentist.
- Schedules appointments, maintains clerical records and assist in front office functions.
- Responds to patient questions both in person and by telephone as authorized by the Dentist
- Maintains adequate operatory supplies for patient treatment and compiles list of supply shortages for ordering purposes.
- Sets up instrument trays and prepares materials according to protocol
- Exposes dental radiographs and demonstrates radiography training certification as required by the State of Michigan
- Maintains compliance with organizational policies and procedures relative to infection control, exposure control, safety issues and personal protective equipment.
- Sterilizes and disinfects instruments and equipment
- Follows procedures to maintain safety and security with medications and needles
- Changes suction traps and filters of suction pump
- Cleans rollers and changes chemicals for developer
- Makes preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts.
- Pours, trims, and polishes study casts, cleans and polishes removable appliances
Education Required:High School Diploma / GED