Full Job Description:
Employment at TBCHS requires your compliance with all Federal, State and TBCHS requirements pertaining to mandatory Covid-19 vaccinations.
Summary: The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) or Finance Director directs the financial affairs of the corporation and provides financial, business, and administration support services which are fundamental to both the conduct of the company’s operations and the achievement of its operational and financial objectives. The CFO or Finance Director is responsible for reporting all financial, statistical, fiscal, and budgeting information to the executive staff and the Board of Directors. Directly supervises the Controller and the Business Operations Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following: other duties may be assigned:
- Displays courtesy and sensitivity while managing difficult and emotional customer situations. Solicits feedback to improve service and responds promptly to customer’s needs.
- Schedules time off in advance to ensure proper coverage for department. Also begins working on time and works independently throughout the day until it is time to end shift.
- Accepts responsibility for own actions and can meet commitments. Asks for help when needed.
- Able to follow policies and procedures while supporting the goals and values of the organization. Also promotes a positive work environment for staff of all departments offering support while working cooperatively with all co-workers.
- Expresses ideas and thoughts effectively. Displays confident communication skills and exhibits good listening. Keeps other adequately informed while selecting appropriate forms of communication.
- Shows a strong initiative and willingness to learn, continually strives to increase personal productivity. Always treats others with respect and consideration as committing to do the best job possible.
Executive Management Responsibilities and Duties – 55%
- Assist CEO in implementing the health centers mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Coordinates with the executive management team to assure appropriate information flow and understanding of overall process improvement direction.
- Educates Directors and Management in financial oversight of departments.
- Attend and presents monthly financials to the Board of Directors monthly.
- Meet at least monthly with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Administrative Operations Director to assess the financial situation of TBCHS and to discuss outstanding issues.
- Work as part of the Executive Leadership Team.
- Participate and support quality improvement priorities and strategies to ensure ongoing commitment to total quality management philosophy, initiatives, and activities.
- Provide internal and external representation for TBCHS and Finance Department with local, state, and Federal organizations.
- Responsible for approving all contractual obligations prior to execution.
- Participates in long and short term financial and business strategy.
- Works closely with the CEO to ensure fiscal policies and procedures are consistent with the mission of the corporation and advise CEO on all financial matters.
- In coordination with the Controller creates, updates, and implements financial policies and protocols to remain compliant with Federal requirements (Compliance manual chapters: Health Center Program Eligibility, Contracts and Sub-awards, Conflict of Interest, Financial Management and Accounting Systems, Budget, and Program Monitoring and Data Reporting Systems).
- Stay abreast of required State, Federal and local policy changes and provide recommendations to the CEO.
- Provide opportunities for the development of the TBCHS Board of Directors as it pertains to principals of financial management for FQHCs and other financial education.
Fiscal Operations and Reporting – 35%
- Prepares and communicates timely analysis of corporation’s performance in relation to budget vs. actual and grant requirements.
- Performs Quarterly cost revenue analysis to monitor break even points.
- Analyzes impact of current and proposed management decisions on reimbursement sources and profitability.
- Monitors operational and productivity indicators and impact on profitability.
- Monitors cash management to insure appropriate returns on available funds.
- Monitors and evaluates all sources of funding which will improve ability to meet TBCHS mission, goals, and objectives.
- Prepare, monitor, and report on all Federal, local, and state grant budgets.
- Understands cost-volume-profitability relationship and prepares budget documents reflecting fluctuating activity volume.
- Oversee revenue cycle process to ensure the health center is financially viable and in compliance with program rules.
- Evaluates corporate decisions for financial viability and reports findings to the CEO.
Supervision – 10%
- Direct supervision of the Controller.
- Direct supervision of the Administrative Operations Director.
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to anticipate, think strategically, and challenge appropriately in support of organizational goals.
- Sound business acumen and demonstrated abilities to develop partnerships and influence all levels of the organization.
- Ability to develop Finance strategy and vision to support business strategies and goals
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others at all levels within the organization, across different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to direct and successfully manage multiple projects on time and within budget.
- Must possess sound coaching and counseling skills.
- Demonstrated experience designing, and implementing effective programs, systems, and initiatives.
- Prior experience managing multiple locations.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with sensitive information and foster an ethical work environment maintaining organizational and patient confidentiality.
- Ability to carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Consistently demonstrates strict adherence to policies and procedures within own work.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, outside agencies, and with the general public, including the ability to present difficult concepts to groups of varied backgrounds.
- Ability to work outside normal clinic hours periodically, which may include weekends and evenings.
- Ability to travel to other clinic locations and outside of local area for training.
- Self-starter, ability to work independently with minimal supervision, detail oriented with ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize. Self-initiates and follows through on assignments in a timely manner.
- Team-oriented and able to work collaboratively with staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to explain, guide, and instruct staff. Acts as a resource and communicates appropriate knowledge, skills and conduct. Accepts supervision and criticism in a constructive manner and demonstrates an ability to adapt to change.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure with frequent interruptions and occasional crisis situations.
- Asks for direction when unsure of job expectation.
- Makes suggestions and addresses concerns in a constructive manner.
- Utilizes appropriate channels of communication in problem-solving and conflict resolution.
- Seeks out appropriate uses of time during non-busy periods for themselves and those they supervise.
- Ensures safe work environment and promotes accident prevention.
- Takes responsibility for own actions and seeks to correct any mistakes.
- Participates in and supports team meetings, activities, and/or problem solving to promote positive team work and cohesiveness between all staff.
- Provides constructive and creative recommendations for improvements in own area of responsibility or the clinics system as a whole.
Supervisor Responsibilities/Core Supervisor Competencies: Directly supervises the Controller and the Business Operations Director. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience: Graduation from an accredited college with a least a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business administration, health care administration or related field. A minimum of 10 years of positions with increasing responsibilities of management/leadership in healthcare, preferably in the Federally Qualified Health Center environment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certified Public Accounting certification desirable.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
Schedule: Day shift – Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
Alpena, MI 49707: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Education: Bachelor’s (Preferred)
License/Certification: CPA (Preferred)
Work Location: One location