We are seeking a Billing Representative to work in our Alpena Office. This individual is responsible for accurate and timely processing of claims and payments and may also complete claim data entry and accounts receivable duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for following policies and procedures as documented in the Billing & Collection Policies.
- Complies with all organizational policies and procedures in regard to HIPAA and Release of Information.
- Utilizes the Electronic Health Record (EHR) and the Practice Management system appropriately to perform established work plan duties.
- Verifies accuracy of procedures and diagnosis code utilizing computer software and/or other resources when necessary.
- Maintains current knowledge of medical codes and terminology.
- Maintains, organizes and evaluates billing records for accuracy and completeness.
- Responsible for ensuring encounters, procedures, and other revenue-producing services are recorded accurately in accordance with applicable regulatory guidelines and TBCHS’s established criteria.
- Verifies and updates patient demographic and insurance information to produce clean claims for the revenue cycle.
- Maintains accounts receivable, revenue cycle, and claims processes and meets set benchmarks.
- Ensures sliding-fee scale discounts are applied accurately to full charges when deemed appropriate and that public insurance funds are utilized when appropriate.
- Applies sliding-fee scale discounts, third-party disallowances, and other gross revenue adjustments and ensure they are recorded in an accurate and timely manner.
- Responds to patient and staff billing questions effectively and appropriately.
- Works with supervisor to troubleshoot billing-related issues within directed time frames.
- Processes patient complaints per established policies.
Education and/or Experience: Certification as a Certified Coder through approved accredited program preferred. Two years in Revenue Cycle or coding experience preferred.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- ICD-10: 2 years (Preferred)
- revenue cycle or coding: 2 years (Preferred)
- Medical Coding Certification (Preferred)